Wednesday, April 1, 2009

In which I sit on the cold hardwood floor and cry like a hormonal pregnant lady

There is quite a bit going on in the Chastain household at the moment. Some of it is small projects that need to get done before Rigg graces us with his presence. Some of it is emotional turmoil and some of it is new everyday tasks.

Please tell us more, you say...well OK. I am nice like that.

Emotional turmoil...well that is an ever-changing yet always the same daily mix of missing Caden and looking forward to Rigg. And everything that falls in between.

New everydays tasks...I am currently watching my baby cousin (who is sweet as can be, and an angel most of the time) 5 days a week. My sister is recently engaged and Mom and I are helping her with the wedding. And I am starting to do housework regularly again (a huge relief to my wonderful husband, who only asked me a few times what I do with my time all day :)) The housework thing was a huge hurtle after Caden died. I can't explain exactly why, there are a lot of reasons, but it was SO hard.

I have an ever growing list of small projects.
I have pillows to make for Riggs room (big floor ones)
I need to purchase the fabric for said pillows...then sew them up.
I have to go buy fabric for a crib skirt...tailored white crib skirts do not exist in Indy outside of pottery barn kids for $50!!! Seriously!
I have a little black table to sand down and paint.
The hallway needs another paint treatment, and a dandelion (really a big cool white vinyl dandelion!)
I have a nursery that needs painted.
Before I can paint the nursery, I have to move the armoire (I am spelling this wrong) out (7 feet by 4 feet by 2 feet)
I have to buy wood to make 2 more shelves for the armoire
I have to purchase new shelves for the inside of the master bedroom closet because...
We need to move all kinds of stuff (clothes!!!) around to make more room for all of our existing stuff. (we officially have too much stuff for a house built in 1941, which was meant for a more simple time in which people didn't own the amount of junk that we now possess.)

So to make this all work, we were going to move the armoire into our bedroom (it is bigger than our dresser) and move our dresser to the basement and store out-of-season clothes in it.

Richard, in all his helpfulness, came up to help Andy move the monster piece of furniture...really folks, it is like 300 pounds or something. EMPTY!
Anyway, long story short....our house is too small and the blasted piece of furniture too big to turn a corner in my hallway...So it cannot go in the bedroom. It is now residing in the exact spot it has been residing for the past year and a half...Just where I do not want it.

This was going to be the start of all the moving, the shifting, the start of getting things in order for the new baby. Of getting the massive heap of Rigg stuff I have out of my office (remember the picture?)

And it didn't work.

Bye Richard...thanks for the help. No Andy, I know, it is OK...Not your fault. It will be fine, I will figure out where I want it...

And then what do I do?

I sit down in the middle of my hallway, on the cold hardwood floor and cry...just like the emotional, hormonal pregnant lady I am.

I do not usually cry over stupid stuff....and this was stupid. STUPID!
Andy came over and sat with me on the cold hardwood floor in the middle of the hallway.
What's wrong?
nothing...everything...nothing...stupid,blasted armoire.
You miss Caden?
yes

Hugging and crying in the hallway. On the floor.

Andy "let's go get Ice cream."
Me "Stupid, blasted armoire."

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

If it makes you feel better, I'm not pregnant or hormonal and I cry over EVERYTHING now (which of course you know). I want to cry right now and I don't know why....STUPID BLASTED ARMOIR!!

Grandma Barb said...

Two comments - you are pretty handy with a saw, that might help get that thing out of there - plus, ice cream is almost like duct tape, it can pretty much fix anything (well almost). ):

Stacey said...

stupid blasted armoir!

Heidi Stone said...

oh cari, i love your honesty.

Richard said...

yeah I kinda knew that was gunna happen after we couldn't move it. I saw it welling up in your eyes as I was leaving. And even though I wasn't there, I can see is happening exactly the way you said it. Let me know when you want to move it into the dining room. . .

Heidi Stone said...

andy and cari....

i am praying for you.

mlc said...

I know you don't know me, but I reached your blog in order to pray for your husband.... I read this previous post and though this is the least of your concerns right now, I bought a PB tailored white crib skirt on eBay for less than $10. You might give it a shot.