Saturday, October 18, 2008

Almighty

This morning I was preparing to "get into" my quiet time and bible study. I am in Bible Study Fellowship (I love it) and we are going through the life of Moses. I prayed before I opened my bible that God would show me part of Himself. Well I finished today's lesson, and it was pretty straightforward...

Ahem....Lord, my prayer?

I kept reading, going beyond the lessons I had at hand.(to chapter 14) I came to the part where Moses had lead the Israelites out of Egypt and the were resting by the sea. Pharaoh and his advisers were angry they had let the Hebrews go, so they were on the hunt. When the Israelites see Pharaoh and his army approaching they get all hot and bothered and ask Moses "was it because there were no graves in Egypt that you brought us to the desert to die?"(vs.11) I love the sarcasm and anger you hear in that comment. I have been there with God before..the why, the anger, and of course with me....the sarcasm :). They tell Moses they would rather have gone back to the horrendous back-breaking life as Egypt's slaves than be killed free men. "It would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the desert."(vs.12)

This last comment from the angry, scared Hebrews made me pause. I stared at it...then a question came to mind.

Who would I rather serve than go through the desert with my God?

No One.

Then Comes the really cool part.
vs. 13 says Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. vs.14 The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."

Psalm 46:10-11 says
Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress."

in Mathew 11: 28 Jesus says
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Moses knew God would deliver them because He said He would. The Israelites could not see God because they were staring their circumstance straight in the face.
Of course the story ends with Moses parting the Red Sea (yes the whole sea!) and the Israelites walk across on DRY! land. When the Egyptians try to follow the sea collapses back on itself and swallows them up. And there the Hebrews are...Saved. Safe.

I have been looking at my circumstance the past few days...right in it's face. I have cried more the last 2 days then I did the first 2 days...sadness and grief are heavy on my heart.

Today, if I cry, that is OK, but I know Who my God is. He is able to fight my enemies for me. My enemies of doubt, of guilt, of the what ifs...My Lord is stronger than all my enemies combined. The Almighty is my fortress, If I run to Him, He will give me rest...and I only need to be still....

Who are you trusting in today? Would you rather be a slave to sin than be free in the uncertain terrain God has planned?

Not me...

Lord, show me...I will follow.

8 comments:

cacfus said...

I have no idea how I found your blog (I think a friend of a friend of a friend...), but it caught my attention because of the photos of your precious baby girl. I have been checking over the last couple weeks and I can't even think of the words to tell you how sorry I am. I don't know you but my heart aches for you and your husband. God is so confusing sometimes, isn't He?

I just wanted to let you know that your faith BLOWS me away. Seriously. I don't know if I could walk what you are going through and have the attitude that you do. Just wanted you to know that you will be prayed for in Fife, WA.

Your sister in Christ!

Elizabeth said...

So I really did read this even though I don't think you believed me....I it has stuck with my. I think it is an excellent way to view the situation and it's been rolling around my head. And just for you I got my blog up and running so you're welcome :)

Karee said...

Cari, I don't know if you remember me - I was Lindsey Lawlis' maid of honor. She shared your situation with me, and my husband and I have been praying for you ever since we heard the news. Our hearts have been so heavy for you. I've read your blogs and have been challenged, inspired, and completely blown away by the beauty of your faith. Thank you. Praying for your continued healing, comfort, and strength.
~Karee Brown

Heidi Stone said...

I'm crying with you, Cari. So know that you're not alone.

Still praying for you.

Elizabeth said...

It's fixed.....My you are high maintenance about such a little thing!!! :) But don't be spelling my Anne without the e, you know what will happen....and it won't be pretty!

katherine said...

love you, chica!

Julie : ) said...

Strange...I'm going through that same story in my quiet times too....nice to read your thoughts on it.

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.