Monday, February 23, 2009

the sorting

Last Thursday I sorted through Caden's clothes. I had many more boxes than I first anticipated. I think the final count was 9...9! Who knew? I guess a girl loves her clothes at any age. My friend Heather came over with her little girl. She was a tremendous help. We had everything sorted in just over an hour and a half.
One very touching story from it all (besides the fact that Heather brought Starbucks!) was how I was comforted by a 18 month old. I was sitting on the floor, crying pretty hard, clutching my beautiful baby girl's clothes and just remembering how she looked in them and how she smelled, when I look up and hear a little voice say " uh oh." Heather's little girl then walked over to me and put her baby finger on my check to point out my tears. She then gave me a hug and patted my back. After the hug, I was given a kiss. She then backed away and smiled at me, as if to say...there, all better. It was so precious and innocent, I think I might have cried harder. What a beautiful baby girl, and a memory I will cherish from that very hard day.

I found that I have a whole tub of things I can use for Baby Boy, so that was exciting. I also sorted things for a quilt I am having made. I put in all the clothes that I have a picture of Caden in, with the exception of a few items I kept as whole outfits, like the one she came home from the hospital in and her Easter outfit. These I put in a small white toy chest my Mother bought for us. I have filled it with Caden memorabilia and special keepsakes. This is also the place where the terribly beautiful hand mold and prints are now. (remember the ones that came with no warning?)
I feel a huge sense of relief getting these tasks done. I now feel like Caden is well taken care of and I no longer have to shuffle baby girl and boy stuff around the house finding a place for it all. Soon we will be getting Baby Boys room in order. I will post pics....I promise. I have already dragged Andy out to a few antique places looking for just the right decorations...(he actually likes the antique places, so don't feel too bad for him!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cari, what a hard day. But of course, your optimism and bright personality shine through even in the toughest of situations. Thank goodness for innocence and children - symbolic reminders of simple times.

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

I am happy that you are through that tough part (although I am sure there will definitely be more days that are not easy). I know it is hard looking at blue and denim and all things boys, but I bet your baby boy's room will be absolutely adorable! I can't wait to see what you find!

lovejoy_31 said...

I just found your blog through Following the Joneses blog. I'm reading your story from the beginning and just wanted you to know that you are in so many thougths and prayers. this post made me cry. Children are so awesome in their innocence. It is amazing. My DD is just like that. She wants to make sure that everyone is OK, both physically and emotionally.